Friday, May 15, 2009

Day 32 - Scramble

Heidi hooked me onto this dish. I LOVE it. It have eaten it at different times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's especially good for dinner if you just want something light but filling. I start by dicing up some veggies. I use what I have on hand which is usually broccoli, a Roma tomato, and red bell pepper and asparagus if I'm lucky. Dice these babies up and throw them in a small frying pan with a tablespoon or so of water. Put the lid on your pan and let the veggies steam for 3-5 minutes.
While your veggies are steaming, break out your eggs. I use four egg whites. Once you get past thinking it's weird that your eggs are white and not yellow, you'll love using egg whites. Why just egg whites? I'll tell you. One large egg is 71 calories, a ton of cholesterol, and 6 grams of protein. One large egg white is 16 calories, zero cholesterol, and 4 grams of protein. You get almost as much protein at a fraction of the calories! I wasn't aware of how much better the egg white is until Heidi clued me in about three months ago. I've been hooked on the egg whites ever since!

So now you've got your veggies steamed and your 4 egg whites are ready to go into the pan. Push the veggies to the side of the pan and dump your egg whites in. It helps if your pan has a good nonstick coating because the egg whites can stick. Let the eggs cook some and then scramble it all together. Add some salt and pepper to taste and voila!You have a huge serving of healthy food for around 100 calories! If you're feeling extra sassy, throw a couple tablespoons of shredded mozzarella cheese on there. Delicious! I'm so glad I'm friends with that Heidi girl who invents/finds/makes all sorts of healthy foods. Thanks babe! (But your brownies are actually my favorite...)

4 comments:

Kierstin said...

Another yummy variation is to put the roma tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and some fetta cheese.... oh. so. delicious and healthy too :) I'm gonna try this for dinner tonight, thanks!

Tamra said...

Sounds yummy! TFS. I'll have to try it with the veggies you suggested. I like to do egg whites w/ fresh mushrooms and sometimes spinach.

The Homer House said...

That sounds good, I will have to try it. As for the yucky stuff now, I am not sure if the laser works, I will have to let you know in a couple of weeks but I am thinking by looking at a couple that it has. They laser them (which is not painful at all because they put numbing cream on it or totally put the kid out) then then scab up and fall off. We have watched her for a month or two to see if more crops appear and they haven't yet...I guess if they do we take her in again to get those zapped off. I would rather have that done than to have them for a year or more and to pass them on to the other kids. We'll see, keep asking so I don't forget.
Dang virus...disgusting!!!

Jill said...

This looks so good, I have to still try it!!