Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Day 23 - Krazy

Two years ago my index finger got an itchy rash. It itched so bad I wanted to rip my skin off. I think it came from some allergic reaction flaring up after long Spring afternoons pulling weeds. My finger rash stayed with me all summer. I kept a band-aid on it so people wouldn't look at me like I had leprosy. It bothered me all of the time. That summer I also began getting out of control cracks in my heels. I had always gotten one, maybe two cracks per summer, but the summer of '07 was the summer of cracks galore! Getting out of bed was the worst. Any healing the cracks had done overnight was split open as soon as my feet touched the floor. I tried so many things. I slathered my feet with vaseline and wore socks every night. I put every cream I could find (including antifungal) on my mystery finger rash that was spreading to many parts of my hands. Finally that August, I went and saw a dermatologist. He barely glanced at my skin and said "Eczema. You've got eczema." What? I thought just little kids had that and then they grew out of it. I didn't know that as an adult, I could grow into eczema. The kind doctor prescribed me a couple of lotions - one to moisturize and one to exfoliate - for my feet and a steroid foam for my hands. Those "special lotions and creams" (Nacho Libre fans, say it with an accent!) have helped tremendously. But the best advice the doctor gave me was Krazy Glue! He told me to Krazy Glue my heel cracks together. It works wonders!!!! It stings when you put it into your wound, of course, but then it seals the wound and lets it heal. I love my Krazy Glue. My family thinks I'm nuts, but I'm tellin' ya, that glue has saved me a lot of pain.



Just don't ever try to open it with your teeth because if it gushes out accidentally it will stick to your teeth. Not that I would know first hand or anything....

3 comments:

Rochelleht said...

I am laughing out loud. That really is crazy. :-)

Julie said...

Love this stuff - I use it on my fingers all winter long!

The Johnson J's!! said...

Ok, I am totally feeling your cracky heels thing... as of now, I have the grand canyon on one foot, and the start of another large cravass (sp?) on the other!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for the advice!!! I went to a foot doctor once and he used a dremel tool on my ouchy foot, and then told me to go to Home Depot and get sheet rock sand paper... not so great!!! So, I am going to get me some Krazy glue asap!!!