Last summer my sisters kept raving about these vampire books. They talked about how they sat in the house and ignored everything around them for three days straight as they read. Tauni was especially passionate about her love for the books. So, at their insistence, I tried them out. Here’s what I think.
Bella. Bella gags me. She is whiny, needy, and will do anything for her boyfriend. Hmmmm, just the sort of heroine I want my daughters to be like. I really can’t stand her. I must say, though, that Stephenie Meyer has done something right for her character to elicit such a strong response in me…even if the response is total animosity.
Edward. The whole vegetarian vampire thing is quite interesting. The vampire (and later, the werewolves) aspect of the books is the best part and what kept me reading them. But, from the very first, I could not get over the age difference between Bella and Edward. Are you telling me that someone with generations of experience and perspective is going to be emotionally attracted to a sixteen year old? It is quite creepy when you think about it. This issue bothered me through all the books.
Twilight. The ending of this book is lame. The whole thing with James chasing Bella is okay, I guess. But please, what mother is going to believe that her daughter got the crap beat out of her by falling down the stairs? Wouldn’t she be more inclined to think that the creepy stalking boyfriend had something to do with it? Also, it ends at the PROM? This is one of the many times when the age difference was very problematic. What 100+ year old guy wants to go to the prom? Don’t you think these vampires have lived long enough to figure out ways around having to go to high school over and over again? Why not pose as plastic surgeons and that’s why they all look so young? Also, the way Edward stares at Bella all night while she sleeps? Creepy. And snuggling up to a cold, stonelike person? Not my cuppa tea.
So, with all these problems in the book, of course, I was still intrigued and read the next one. (I’ll admit, I bought it because my mom said she’d buy it back from me for her library. And I wanted to know what happened. So, with all the criticism, I have to say that they were still fun.)
New Moon. The werewolf thing was fun to read. The imprinting stuff was stupid. Especially when one of the guys imprinted on a little girl. Eeew. But I can see how teenage girls would LOVE the imprinting idea. Every girl wants a guy to be so stuck on her that they are destined to be together no matter what. (As long as the guy is very good looking and has superpowers.) I liked Jacob’s character. Bella…well, what can I say except I HATE her. She is a twit. She is an idiot. She loves Edward, but totally strings Jacob along. She’s completely self-centered. In total contrast to Twilight, I thought the ending of New Moon was super fun. I really liked how they went to the vampire city and the vampires were all there waiting to kill all the tourists. Morbid and fun to read. Side note: I liked the thing where the vampires sparkle in the sun. Fun imagery.
Eclipse. I’ve done my best to forget about this one. I didn’t like it too much from the start, but of course, kept reading. Meyer has the suspense thing down, I’ll give her that. An army of vampires coming to get Bella? Whatever. The newborn vampire thing was cool, though. Sadly, Meyer also has the stupid, sappy love crap that gets in the way. No wonder teen girls eat this up. The worst part of the book was Bella having to dramatically kiss Jacob just to see if she loved him. That did it in for me. No matter how interesting the vampires are, I’m done with these books.
The writing. The writing got very redundant and therefore quite predictable. Meyer needs to come up with more ways for Edward to say something romantic and for Bella to look away shyly. I mean, how many times can he look coy and smile a crooked smile? Bor–ing.
Lastly – kudos to Meyer for not getting Bella and Edward to fornicate. I appreciate that.
Also – for all my complaints, keep in mind that I was sucked in enough to read all three last fall. These books are a bag of chips. Fun, but no nutritional value whatsoever.
Do you dare disagree with me? I've braced myself and am ready to hear it!
**This post is inspired by Jared's post. Yes, you heard me, a GUY reading these books. Click on Fawson's blog if you want to hear his take on Twilight.
9 comments:
I was a little bit surprised to read your post because I was under the impression that you liked the books more than I did. You know I agree with a lot of what you wrote: Bella = annoying.
I also agree with your kudos to Meyer. Even though I'm not a huge fan of her books, I am a fan of her. It's fun to see her (and Shannon Hale) doing so well professionally.
Fun critique. These blogs are a great, new creative outlet (now that our scrapbooking's gone to pot).
Just so you know, I don't know what the deal is with that deleted comment. I didn't remove anything, so it's a mystery to me!
What do you mean scrapbooking has gone to pot?! I'm sure I'm just this close to being caught up!
Who is Shannon Hale?
That deleted comment was me. I accidentally posted the exact same thing twice - sorry.
Let's scrapbook this week. I can do it any day but Friday.
Shannon Hale is another young LDS writer who has published a lot of young adult books recently. She received the Newbery honor award a couple of years ago for "Princess Academy." My favorite book of hers is "Book of a Thousand Days." It's her most recent and the link to it is on my blog (I just read it on our fabulous/freezing trip to Eden).
I couldn't put the first down, but didn't like it enough to pick up any of the subsequent books. I agree. I HATED Bella. But, Meyer did a great job with their chemistry.
I read those books too. I am not real good at literature stuff... but I don't think she is that great of a writer, I think it is her character development that makes the books so you want to read them. I start reading them and can't put them down. And I hate to admit it, but I already have the next one ordered! I agree that Bella is annoying though! Not quite the personality of a heroine!
I agree with your chip analogy... they are hard to put down but not very filling or brain food.
I recall wanting to shake Bella in the second book and tell her to snap out of it... although I do like Jacob's character.
I agree with every word you wrote. You are an extremely astute gal for someone who hasn't read Shannon Hale, LOVE HER! ;-) Kim
I've read them all too, just so I could say I'd read them and I was curious about all the hoopla. Quite disappointing. I guess they're okay for the entertainment factor. I do hope, though, that teenage girls aren't replacing great classics with fluff like this all the time. There is a lot to be gained from good books with real themes, symbolism, etc. McKenzie has read at least one Shannon Hale book and really enjoyed it. I didn't know she was LDS.
Post a Comment