This is what it's come to. I can't resist the baked goods. I posted this cookie count for myself on Friday because I had already eaten three cookies and as you can see, it was only 11:12 AM. Because I had eaten those cookies, I skipped breakfast because somehow in my brain that calorie swap (cookies/breakfast) will make it all better. Whatever! So the post-it note did work, I have to say...for about 5 hours. I kept looking over at the cookies and then I'd see the note and know my kids would count the cookies when they got home from school. I ate two more later in the day, but I justified it because that was after the kids had eaten a bunch so my count was totally off by then. And to further my justification, these are the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies that are just the spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin, so in my twisted mind they're practically healthy. Help me! I think it's time to go off sugar completely. I am way too addicted these days and if I don't do something soon I will need to buy new pants. This is not just about 5 cookies on Friday, it's more than that and it's every day! I've got to stop because everyone says that in your thirties your metabolism changes etc. etc. etc... I'm not expecting perfection but hello, I am embarrased these days about my complete lack of self discipline. I have done this from time to time (sworn off sugar), just to wean myself off the sweet bakery goodness that I can't resist. Do you guys have any ideas for me? What do you do to curb a sweet tooth? (I know it would probably help if I quit making treats...)
Sunday, September 21, 2008
Help Me!
This is what it's come to. I can't resist the baked goods. I posted this cookie count for myself on Friday because I had already eaten three cookies and as you can see, it was only 11:12 AM. Because I had eaten those cookies, I skipped breakfast because somehow in my brain that calorie swap (cookies/breakfast) will make it all better. Whatever! So the post-it note did work, I have to say...for about 5 hours. I kept looking over at the cookies and then I'd see the note and know my kids would count the cookies when they got home from school. I ate two more later in the day, but I justified it because that was after the kids had eaten a bunch so my count was totally off by then. And to further my justification, these are the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies that are just the spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin, so in my twisted mind they're practically healthy. Help me! I think it's time to go off sugar completely. I am way too addicted these days and if I don't do something soon I will need to buy new pants. This is not just about 5 cookies on Friday, it's more than that and it's every day! I've got to stop because everyone says that in your thirties your metabolism changes etc. etc. etc... I'm not expecting perfection but hello, I am embarrased these days about my complete lack of self discipline. I have done this from time to time (sworn off sugar), just to wean myself off the sweet bakery goodness that I can't resist. Do you guys have any ideas for me? What do you do to curb a sweet tooth? (I know it would probably help if I quit making treats...)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Um, can't help you. Love treats. Love sugar. TWO people gave me twizzlers for my birthday. What does that say about me?
Mmmm... Twizzlers...
Oh please... enjoy the dang cookies.
And fyi, those cookies ARE good for you. Pumpkin? - seriously, what more could you ask for in a health food? ;-)
Oh, I can relate! If I would quit making goodies I could probaly lose 10 lbs..but they are so tempting!
One thing I do that helps is put then in a ziploc and stuff them in the cupboard. "Out of sight, Out of mind." Or you could freeze them. That way you are not looking at them during the day. Just a suggestion!
The reason I put my cookies in a ziploc bag in the cupboard is so my kids don't eat all of them before me!! So what does that say about my self discipline? I think it says I'm way off the deep end... But in the past we've done sweets on the weekend only. It works really well until a birthday or other random occasion hits and then we're back to square one again. But you're talking to the gal who made a large batch of cookie dough on a craving last week and didn't make a single baked cookie out of it! Mmmm....
Biffy, you are a gal after my own heart. I can only resist the sweets when they are in Africa :). For 9 months I went without desserts of any kind and exersized everyday, I lost 15 pounds and it was the most unfulfilled 9 months of my life! Life is too short...eat Cookies!
You might as well enjoy life! Plus the more weight you gain the more excuses you have for shopping because your clothes won't fit and you will have to get more because you can't walk around naked... well I guess you could! I am joking! You could be diabetic like me and then if you eat too much you just get sick.... it is a wonderful diet plan... although I wouldn't wish it on anyone! Maybe you could quit cooking so darn good.
I'm in the same boat. There are several things feeding my cookie-eating addiction.
1. I love to bake and my cookies are delicious (of course).
2. The taste in my mouth is always better when something sweet is in it.
3. If I don't bake, Shaun stares blankly into the pantry for a while and then asks, "Don't you have anything good to eat." (Which I interpret as, "You are a terrible wife because there are no yummy homebaked goodies for me to eat.")
4. I'm an emotional eater. You name it: boredom, stress, my kids driving me crazy, a reward for cleaning my bathrooms--all great reasons to eat a goodie.
5. It's an addiction that won't get me into trouble with my bishop. I'm such a rebel.
That all sounds so complex (and psychotic). In reality, I think I just need to say NO to those darn cookies.
Any wonder why us guys are mystified by the inner workings of the female inner brain?
i like treats as much as the next gal--you've seen how incapable i am of avoiding treats when i come to visit...but, in my defense, i've actually had times (meaning several months) when i've been in complete control.
this has been my strategy: (let me first say that i don't think it's a good idea to go completely off sugar. i think it has it's place and if you deny yourself ALL the time, you go hog-wild when you actually do eat it.)
anyway, my strategy. first i wean myself off the "need a treat everyday" mentality slowly. so first go two days, then three...etc. then my rule is always that i can have one treat (meaning like a couple brownies or a few cookies) a week. recently that's been during family home evening. i make myself hold to the once a week thing...so if there's a birthday party at which i want to eat cake, i can't have the f.h.e. treat. anyway, i find that if i limit it to once a week, i get my fix, but don't become fixated. plus, if it's only once a week, you can still enjoy the treat, but treats start to seem almost too sweet and rich...
(i'm writing a novel.) so, how do you actually have the will power to not eat them? well, don't make them and don't buy them (wink, wink). give away the rest of what you don't want to wind up eating. eat more protein--i'm serious, it works!
I thought it was the asian chili sauce that you didn't keep in the fridge?
Love your blog Biffy!
Post a Comment