"So what is Bunko?" at least one of my kids asks me every month. I'll tell you. It's played in groups of four. We have twelve people in our group and therefore three tables of four. It's a dice game. You roll three dice in rounds and try to get a different number each round. There is no skill involved. You tally the number of times you roll the desired number. When the high table reaches 21 points, they yell "Bunko!" and everyone stops that round and moves on to the next one. We all put in $5 to help buy prizes and everyone goes home with a prize. I'm a game girl, so the combination of visiting and a fun game with prizes is right up my alley.
I hosted Bunko tonight. Forgive me, Rochelle, I forgot to take photos. But we had a colorful and healthy meal with grilled shish-ka-bobs, green salad (Sharli's recipe, yum!), fresh fruit, and dutch oven potatoes (I have the best method to cook those on the grill in my enameled cast iron pot!). The best part about the presentation tonight was having the prizes on display. As the host, it is your responsibility to pick out and buy the prizes for the night. My prizes were fresh flower bouquets. Gorgeous! First prize got a huge bouquet of spring flowers, second place got a dozen roses, and then there were tulips, lilies, daisies, and single roses for the rest of the prizes. Beautiful! The prizes were so pretty I didn't even mind dishing out (but not eating) chocolate bundt cake for the group.
So if you want a fun way to create friendships with your neighbors, try Bunko. It's great fun. I know it gets a bad rap now and then. I'm not sure why, it must be from people who haven't ever been to our group!
(PS. In case you didn't know: Day 9 means it's the 9th day in a row I've blogged. I'm shooting for 33 days in a row because I took a 33 day absence.)
5 comments:
I don't know if I can forgive you, Biffy. But I will try. HA!
We did Bunco for YEARS, but got flack from our Bishop about 5 years ago, and backed off. Yep, you read right. ;-)
I totally miss Bunko. As soon as Jared is done with law school I'm starting another group. I'm so glad you did one with your neighborhood to get to know them. That was the whole idea when I started the original group...it's a great way to get to know the gals you play with. When I started it, we heard that some bishops were giving flack about it. I actually spoke to our bishop about it, he said it was fine as long as it didn't turn into a husband bashing night.
I'm in charge of a "Girls Night In" in a couple of weeks. I've never played Bunco before, but maybe we'll give it a try. Sounds fun! I'm doing dinner too. Would you e-mail me your green salad recipe? Thanks!
OK, I tried googling recycling for our area and got no where. Who do you go through, and how can I get their info?
I love Bunko and get a little competitive! I'm jealous you get to play every month.
Post a Comment