Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day 17 - Jam

Yeah, so I'm not sure about this posting every day thing. Some posts are definitely more interesting than others. Here's a slice of my day for you.


I made three batches with this MCP pectin. It calls for 3 1/4 c crushed berries and 4 1/2 c sugar.
Then I made two batches with this Ball Fruit Jell pectin. It calls for 4 C crushed berries and 1 1/2 c sugar. Yes, you read that right! It is so tasty and soooo much less sugar. This pectin is also a faster method and sets up great. I wish I would have made all my batches with this. You can find it at Wal-Mart.
Homemade freezer jam is seriously the best. I was raised on it and store bought jam just seems yuck.
And finally, here's Holly with a tortilla on her head. Namaste.

4 comments:

Heidi Green said...

I want to come over and taste your jam. I always use MCP because I've used (or thought I had) all the different pectins. I really like a firm set. Is it just as thick? I can't wait to try it, that is a BIG difference in sugar!

Code Turner said...

Namaste!

tkfonzie said...

I haven't used full sugar pectin for years! Once you taste the low sugar jam, you wonder why they ever invented the original;). Tastes like fruit, not just sticky sweet.

GarrGroup said...

You need to teach me how to do this. My grandma used to make it for me. Oh I miss it!