Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 2 - Yum

You probably all have this recipe already, but it's so good and easy...

Homemade Oreo Cookies

2 devils food cake mixes
4 eggs
1 1/2 c shortening

Mix together, form into small balls (I use a 1/2 Tbsp measuring spoon) and bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. I discovered today that if you don't eat a bit of the cookie dough, this makes 125 cookies.
For the filling:
1 stick of butter (thanks, Shauna!)
8 oz cream cheese
Powdered sugar (I didn't measure - start with 3-4 cups)
Vanilla

Frost the backside of a cookie, then sandwich it with another cookie.

These are so soft and yummy. They are one of my favorite cookies to make and eat and therefore I rarely make them. I did them for the baby shower today. The shower was super fun. The quilt turned out darling. I really love my neighbors, we need to get together more often!

6 comments:

Courtnie said...

Those sound so good. I don't make them enough. Maybe I will have to bring some this weekend. Did you get my email?

Heidi Green said...

I've had these cookies a lot but I've never made them. How was withstanding the temptation? ;-)

Janalynn said...

Look at you ms. Betty Crocker, and still have time to organize a baby shower, put together a baby quilt, AND BLOG!!! (it must be all that exercising and eating right you are doing).

Muir Family said...

One of my favorites too. It's so much easier for me to not bake anymore...You are at trooper to bake and withstand. Go Biffy!!

Biffy said...

Withstanding the temptation was doable, but a bummer nonetheless. It was easier after I had noticed how GREASY my hands were when I rolled them into balls to cook them.

Kierstin said...

There is a reason the main ingredient is called 'DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE'. I am going to do myself a favor and NOT make these... simply because I will eat the entire batch. no lie. (and because I still want to lose the rest of my baby fat)