Monday, February 23, 2009

One of My Favorite Traditions

Secret Agent Valentines

1. Get each child a Valentine gift. Make your kids go downstairs while you ready the game.

2. Attach gift to a ball of yarn. Hide the gift somewhere and then string the yarn through the house - in and out of cupboards, around doorknobs, underneath tables, you get the idea.


3. Once you have made a lot of laser looking strings going through the house, cut the yarn and tie the end to something secure.
4. Repeat steps two and three for each child's present, tying all of the ends in the same place.

5. The central location where you tied the ends of the string (in this case, the bannister at Grandma and Grandpa's place in St. George) is now the beginning of the game. Call the kids upstairs. This part is really fun. They love to ooh and aah about how the house looks like it is full of secret agent lasers. Once they've admired your hard stringing efforts, you can tell them which string belongs to which kid. Do NOT let them cut the string. Cutting will loosen the string and the effect is lost. Each kid follows the appropriate string through the house to find his or her present.
6. It is smart to wrap the presents in the same wrapping paper and not label them. That way if they get their string mixed up they haven't revealed someone else's present. And someone will inevitably get a string mixed up, especially if you have them all strung on the same doorknob at some point (heh, heh, heh!).

7. I love this one! It's one of the few things I actually came up with on my own. If you try this, be prepared to repeat it every year, it's that fun!

9 comments:

Muir Family said...

Love this idea!!! I think I'm going to try it next year. What a fun idea!

Tamra said...

Oh great. 1 more tradition to add to our Valentine's celebration. LOVE it! Thanks for the idea.

Shauna said...

Very creative Biffy! I do like.
On another subject, I was cursing your name last night as I bit in to one of the rice crispies... good to know it wasn't you after all. I thought it was strange that you would type a note. Whoever is playing dirty... watch out!!!

Janalynn said...

How fun! I think I might try this on Easter. Jared loves to hide their Baskets.

Heidi Green said...

Ok, you are the cutest mom ever!

Also, this says you posted this after midnight... did you get your 7 hours? ;-)

Biffy said...

Where does it say I posted after midnight? You are outing me!

Yes, it was right after midnight and I had to let my kids sleep until 7:30 so I could get my 7 hours in. This contest is keeping me well rested, baby!

jamie said...

that's a very great idea. i might just replicate it next year!

Kierstin said...

That is such a cute idea. I would love to add that to my list of fun new things to do with my kids. who knows if I will actually get to it though.

Rochelleht said...

You're good, Biffy. You're good. My kids got a nice unwrapped Webkin. They couldn't have been happier. Even with a secret agent search. Ok, maybe a little happier...

I'm trying to make myself feel better...