Wednesday, February 4, 2009

$25 Contest

*I almost didn't post this because a. I am worried I won't get a response, and b. I am not sure I've got the willpower. But here goes.

How much would you pay for fitness motivation? The motivation to not eat that brownie, to get on that treadmill, to get enough rest; pure, sweet, tough as nails motivation is a slippery commodity in my life. I can hang onto it for a couple of days and then it slides into thin air when a freshly baked goodie stares me in the face. If I could put that motivation in a bottle and keep it around for longer than 48 hours I’d sell it everywhere for millions. Guess what? I think I’ve found it! It’s not bottled, but it comes with a huge prize and it only costs $25. This motivation will last up to 2-3 months. Come closer, I’ll tell you how.

I’m copying.

Yes, I’m copying and I hope it goes well. I’m copying a contest I read about on this blog. I think it sounds awesome and I think it will motivate me to do all of the healthy things I want to do but sometimes don’t because I am weak and I like to eat cookies. Here’s the contest. Please say you’ll do it! Leave me a comment that says you’ll compete with us! I have received verbal commitments from five gals plus myself. So that means the prize so far is $150. We can do it!!! I have started a private blog where all the participants can post their weekly point totals. I think the contest needs a tiny bit of fine tuning, so if you have any suggestions then tell me! We’ll start next Monday, February 9, because, as my friend Sonali pointed out, everything begins on Mondays.

The Rules:

1. You contribute $25. The winner takes the pot.

2. You get 1 point (maximum of 4 points a day) for every day that you:

a. Have a good eating day. I have wondered how to define this. Number of calories? No sugar? What? I think that everyone would have to declare on the future private blog what their own personal good eating day/goal is. You get 1 point for a good eating day, 0 points for an okay day, and -1 if you garbage out.

b. Exercise for at least 30 minutes (on Sundays I think a leisurely walk counts for this).

c. Sleep at least 7 hours per night.

d. Keep your personal goal. Again, I think this should be declared to all participants as a way to motivate each other and keep track of each other. I think my personal goal will be to keep track of everything I put in my mouth by writing it down on thedailyplate.com.

3. You get 2 points for every percentage of weight loss. (Example, if I weighed 100 lbs and lost 1 lb, I would get 2 points.)

4. You get 1 bonus point per week for posting your point total (not your weight or measurements, just your point totals) on the blog by Monday at 5 pm.

5. You are honest with your competitors. The person with the most points wins.


This contest is open to anyone I know well enough to trust (my friends…most of you anyway ;) and anyone who is a direct friend of one of my friends, given that my friend will vouch for your honesty and your $25. Obviously this is a contest for people who want to make positive changes in their life - not so you can just continue what you're already doing.


Two Questions and Two Statements:

Question: If you don’t really want or need to lose pounds but do really want to do these healthy things (because you aren't doing them already) and enter the contest, can you come up with an equitable way to get points instead of losing weight (see rule #3)? Something that would be difficult but achievable?

Question: Should we run the contest for two or three months? I’m thinking two months. I don’t know if my motivation can hold for three months, but hey, you never know!

Statement: To my Mom: Yes, I know that I look just fine, I think my body image is healthy, but I would really like to be healthier, form better habits, and have the side effect of losing a bit of weight. Don’t worry, I am not obsessed with this! (But I really, really, really want to win!)

Statement: Hey you guys that don’t live by me, you are invited too! You have been some of my favorite exercise partners and friends and just because I don’t live by you anymore doesn’t mean we can’t still have fun together!


Leave me your email if I don't have it. I will send out some spreadsheets you can print to keep track of your points. This is going to be awesome!!!! I will hate it every day at 3:00 pm when I want to eat a treat. I will love it every night when I don't feel guilty! I will love it every day when I have more energy! I will hate it every day when I have to discipline myself!

16 comments:

Heidi Green said...

Dude... you have to change #2c to read "at least" 7 hours. Now I know you really never listen to me whilst we visit (or you did that just to get a reaction from me - ha ha).

Also, I've been thinking about this all day and I'm wondering if we should totally eliminate the points regarding % of weight loss. I really like focusing on the healthy lifestyle vs. weight loss. That way you wouldn't have to find an alternative way to get points for those who have no weight to lose and the people who do want to lose weight have a built in reward when they shed the lbs. What do you think?

Mickel said...

I'm totally in! I say 3 months--we're going to Hawaii the end of May and I'm going to look good in a swimsuit! I was actually thinking of disclosing what I eat everyday on my own blog so I'd have some kind of accountability...this is much better and there's money involved. I hope LOTS of people sign up so I have LOTS of spending money for my trip when I WIN!!!! I don't like to trash talk, but y'all are going down! Should I just mail you a check?

Biffy said...

Mickel: I love it! You're always game for my crazy ideas! This is going to be fun.

Heidi: I'll change it to "at least 7 hours" you big whiner! :) And I was thinking about the weight loss thing too, but without it I think we'd have a high risk of people tying with the same amount of points and then what would we do? And let's be real here, I want to shed some lbs AND win the money!

Tamra said...

I'm still on the fence, but I'm getting there. You need to keep the weight loss percentage & go for 3 months. If you get enough people to participate then you can have a 2nd prize, as well. Having a couple of prizes is actually more motivation. Maybe I'll join you AND get my family to do another round, as it has been a few years for us. I'm sure I'll have no problem spending all that money!

Janalynn said...

How fun!! However, maybe I shouldn't bother paying, I mean really, I'll just be wasting a check when you give it back!! Actually I wouldn't even mind losing! $25 is so worth just being motivated to live healthier!! Count me in. Instead of loosing weight, I really need to gain muscle, so perhaps we can figure a weight lifting guide to get points? Or just like Heidi Green said, just drop the part of points for pounds. Two months sounds more realistic, However, if this is more for lifestyle change than a contest maybe three would benefit me. Whatever, I'm for anything! So about the sleeping....is that 7 consecitive hours? You know I do suffer from insomia, another reason I need to get into shape to fix that problem.

Mickel said...

I didn't chime in on the weight loss points. At first, like you, I thought there was a high possibility of a tie. But, I think that exercising EVERY day is pretty lofty and will separate the winners from the losers! Weight loss is just a bonus. Maybe you could earn bonus points by exercising more than 30 minutes. Or maybe you could increase the 30 minutes to 45 minutes, making it a little harder to earn the point.

shauna said...

I agree with Heidi and Janalynn. I would actually like to gain a pound or two by changing some fat into muscle. So I vote to eliminate that one too. If we tie then we all get some money. That's fine with me!!!

Heather said...

I'm in. I'm on the fence about including wieght loss or not. It sounds like their are enough people that don't need to loose weight (SOME OF US STILL DO!!!) that maybe #3 should be altered.
Please don't increase the exercise time. I am at a big 0 exercise/ever right now and 30 min/day is going to be a big stretch for me. And if it's lifestyle changes we're going for I think 3 months would be hard but better at making those habits really stick in our lives.

Julie said...

Count me in. I vote veto #3 - not because I don't need to lose some poundage (I need that too) but I'm also hoping to gain some muscle along the way & watching pounds is unmotivating when it comes to pushing the weights. Maybe there could be extra points for things like: "eat 7 different fruits or veggies" or "drink 8 or more cups of water" etc. ??? Or just skip #3 & the extra points altogether. Also, as much as I'd like to be done in 2 months, if I'm gonna do this & really make a change in my life I'm going to have to push for three months. Ouch, just saying that hurts.

Jamie Kent said...

You guys are so awesome! What a great idea~

Rochelleht said...

I'd love to participate. But I actually like eating crap. I feel bad afterwards and I'm probably going to have a heart attack before I'm 40, but it's tastes so darn good.

What to do... What to do...

tkfonzie said...

I would love to be a part of the group! I think that there should be a sliding scale based on age ;), I have been struggling by myself, I need to be accountable to someone and this could help. (I am surprised that Heidi didn't want to have more points for more sleep :). Let me know when all of the details have been worked out.

Kierstin said...

Good luck! I'll be watching :)

Julie said...

Here's another thought on #3: What if it were % body fat loss instead of weight loss? Let me know the final decision/details 'cause I'm ready to get started [after one last binge weekend] :)

Rochelleht said...

Considering...

Like Julie's body fat idea. I wouldn't lose weight, but I need to eat better.

Amber :) said...

I'm totally in...would love some extra motivation this time of year!! I'll get my $25 to you!!

Define treat....I'm doing weight watchers and a sugar free jello pudding with lite cool whip is a treat for me and is only 2 points....so it's not really splurging becuase it easily fits in my day of points...is that a treat...or do you mean downing a bag of m&m's....

Amber :)