Funny things, these blogs. They are crazy addictive. Last night, I sat down fully intending to write a post. Before I began, I looked at some of my lurking list. Kierstin’s blog mentions some friends of hers quite frequently (Makell and Kerry). I think I might barely know this Kerry guy. Was he a cook at the Logan Village Inn the summer of ’94? And if he was, did he ALMOST win the $100,000 with the half court shot at an Aggie game? Made the shot but the buzzer beat him by a split second? If that is him, Kierstin, then I was a waitress when he was a cook! Small world, eh? What a funny blog connection.
Another connection came from Kierstin’s blog (you’re a hot one tonight!). I randomly clicked on one of her links. Jared and Kim. Turns out these are Tremonton folks! My home town natives are blogging too. Jared and Kim are younger than me. I doubt they even know who I am/was. But I have a knack for names and faces and therefore I remembered theirs.
So I said I was fully intending to write a post last night. Two and a half hours after I sat down at the computer, I threw in the towel. Posting, shmosting. I jumped from link to link to link of Bear River Bears. Lots of the blogs I found belonged to people who I didn’t really know but I knew they were from Tremonton. (And apparently, blogging is mainly for people approximately five years younger than me.) But the treasure hunt was on! I found some blogs of old friends. It was such fun browsing their lives and catching up. The only thing was the catching up was entirely stealth and one-sided. I’ll have to change that.
Something unexpected came out of my blog hopping last night. Finding these blogs reminded me how I am truly a small-town girl. I love knowing all the people around me. I love the way small town people support one another. Years ago, you could have heard me taking a very different perspective about small towns. With any good comes some bad, it’s true. But the good in a small town hopefully outweighs any negative that may be found. Tremonton people know each other. They are interested in what everyone’s kids are doing. If someone makes it big from Tremonton, you bet that we’ll all be bragging about it. So much of who I am comes from how I was raised. Last night I realized that where I was raised has a lot to do with it too.
7 comments:
Yes ma'am! Kerry Westenskow was in fact a chef at Village Inn ages ago (and can still make one mean skillet breakfast omlet!) He and Reed are best friends and own the business together. He's like a brother to us. Also, yes, Kim and Jared are my cousins. I told you that my aunt and uncle are Russell (dentist) and GayLyn White. GayLyn is my dad's sister. I actually spent half of my childhood in Tremonton because my cousin, Krista and I have always been attached at the hip. She is only a year younger than I am. Jared is two years older than me so he's still younger than you but not by that much. Jared just graduated from Dental school and has moved back to Treetown with his family of three kids. Krista also moved back but is already ready to leave again! You either love small town living or can't wait to get out. I personally could never live in a place as small and secluded as Tremonton, i would die of boredom.
The dying of boredom is true. But, being away from it all makes me see the positives a lot more easily. That said, I'm certainly not shopping for real estate or anything! I love where I am. Hahaha, you call it Treetown! You're practically a local!
What!?! Dying of boredom - no way! The only thing small towns lack is shopping & great dining, but there is a ton of stuff to do :-)
(that last post was the small town pride coming out in me)
Hey Biffy, Just checking out you blog... how fun to spy on you! My kids loved seeing your kids pictures. Just thought I would say hi... gotta go get back to my yard. I'm planting timber bamboo! I'll have to post some pics when I get it in.
Carla
I LOVE blog hopping. I've found tons of people too. Although, I have also noticed the age difference thing, but still really fun. I'm loving your blog.
i love that i can hear your voice as i'm reading.
Post a Comment