Naturally, when we moved one of the first things Kate noticed about the neighborhood was the lemonade stand accessibility. She and Aaron have done many stands. The first stand of this spring was a hit. The preparation, of course, is as much fun as the execution.
“Okay, Mom, we’ve made our sign. Do you think we could make some flyers to take around, too?”
“Sure. I’ll cut some paper in half and everyone can make their own flyers to take around.” They begin to work on the flyers. I read their sign. “Ice and straws? You’re charging for ice and straws?” Anya, the neighbor girl, giggles.
Kate ignores the giggle, and seriously replies, “Oh yeah. I think it will really work. ‘Cause Mom, we’ve got a really good business going here.”
“Check you out, you entrepreneur, you!”
Kate finishes her flyer. She instructs the four little girls at the table, “Everyone finish their flyers and take them around. Anya and I are going to finish setting up the table.” I get out a tablecloth for them and hand Kate some tape. “Thanks, Mom,” she says, “But when are you going to make the lemonade? We need it soon!” Whew! What a taskmaster (don’t know where she gets that)!
They had a great time and made $15.65 divided five ways, so $3.13 a kid. This is certainly not their most profitable afternoon. Although the location was ideal, it’s a good thing they made extra off the ice and straws.
3 comments:
Look how nice you are. My kids always beg to do one and I always say no. I guess cause my mom always said no...
$15.65??!! I am impressed. I never made more than a couple bucks as a kid with my stands. How much were they charging for the lemonade?? Or maybe all profit was from the ice and straws?!!! I love that part!
I am in Rochelle's camp, I usually say no. I DREAD when my kids ask to do a lemonade stand.
Bradley is very determined, self-motivated and a taskmaster (just like Kate, hmmm - 1st child or type A moms?!) and wants to do a stand every week too. I think his future dream is to be the kid pulling a cooler along the parade routes, selling cans of soda for $1.
I need to be more like you; better about not squashing my kids' entrepreneurial dreams :-)
Post a Comment