We had a great day recently at Discovery Gateway, a children's museum. We met the Sampsons there. Mickel and I have been friends for a long time. We were new moms together. I have probably walked or jogged more miles with Mickel than with any other exercise friend. If you log that many miles with someone, you get to know them pretty well. Now I've moved away from Providence and so has she. It was wonderful to visit with her again while the kids played at the museum. She's the best. She is so grounded and has a great sense of humor - I am always laughing when I'm with Mickel. Our kids got along swimmingly. Kate had so much fun getting to know McKenzie and Izzy again. It was hard to watch them go.
After the Sampsons left the museum, Greg called to tell me that the freeway was shut down so I shouldn't try to come home until at least 7:00. The kids had been so great all day. But they were hungry. We went and got some dinner at the food court - the devil came with us and it was pure hell. My angel kids suddenly realized they were all cranky. Food was thrown, screams erupted, whines were a plenty. I couldn't get those kids out of there fast enough. Strangely, as soon as we entered the museum after dinner, a calm drifted over my kids. I guess the devil got tired of tormenting me because my kids were my sweeties again. They played and played. They cooperated and shared. When the museum closed we went to Build a Bear and got Holly an early birthday present. After that, the fountains. We finally left at 8:10 pm. I thought for sure I would miss the traffic, but the devil had a hand in that too. We were ready for bed by the time we rolled in at 9:40!
By the way - the museum prices are steep! $8.50 a head - so if you go make sure you spend the day. That way it's totally worth it.


2 comments:
I haven't been to the Museum, I will have to take my kids sometime. I am glad I am not the only one who has days like that! I LOVE my kids but somedays, they are CrAzY! Looks like the birthday party went well. Kenzie is going to be in second grade this year and she is my youngest. It is sooo sad.... mine are all school gooin' kids! Makes you feel kindof old.
That turned into a long day for you guys. We had a somewhat similar experience at lunch--tired and starving is a bad combo. But the museum was great and we loved seeing you guys. As for the drive home, all I can say is thank goodness for the carpool lane!
Post a Comment