Thursday, October 15, 2009

Becoming

Do you ever sit and think of the person you want to be? She's out there, that girl, that woman, in bits and pieces of thought occupying different spots in my brain. I thought that by the time I was this old I would have at least partially become her. But it seems the older I get, the more I realize that being in the trenches never ends and achieving that status of "arrived" never comes. But I know who I want to be and I know that I'll keep trying. There are incredible women who have crossed my path in life. I want to take parts of them and meld it all together into one big glorious me. Marilyn, Jan, Mom, Nedra, Heidi (a couple of them), Julie, Connie, Sister Dayer, Ann, Tamra, Wendy, Belva, I could go on and on. I'm so thankful for these shining stars in my life. Some I have known well, some I've admired from different vantage points. Their lives are not perfect. But each person has something wonderful and something to teach me. So as I sort through the piles creeping up around my house today, as I pull the grass out of the flowerbeds, as I run my kids to and fro after school, I will be trying. I'll be trying to be the person I want to be despite the humdrum that gets in the way. If I can do that, boy oh boy, I may not have "arrived" in just one day, but I'll sure be on my way.

6 comments:

Heidi Green said...

I am totally teary right now... what a beautiful post!

I'm glad you're my best friend.

Rochelleht said...

Beautiful! I SO get that. Totally.

Kierstin said...

It's funny, I've watched you the past couple of years, and I have to tell you that I think you are wonderful. You have such a vivacious and outgoing presence and I admire all of your strength of character and loyalty to your life... to friends, family, and church. You have already become that amazing woman in so many ways, and I am so grateful to have you as an example in MY life. Thank you for being my friend and such a great neighbor.

Julie said...

Wow... and YOU are that inspiration for the rest of us! Thank you for your example & friendship & genuine goodness. Luv ya!

Tamra said...

Ditto to what everyone has said. I am teary right now. Not the first time, as I read your posts. I have to admit that I have shed a few tears since your announcement, but I am so VERY VERY happy for you. You are the most amazing mother and woman. A child is so blessed to come into your home. I am so very blessed to be your friend and to try to be more like you. Thanks for thinking of me. I love you.

jamie said...

i've been feeling a lot like this lately. thanks for articulating it so well...and ditto to julie's comment.