Sunday, January 25, 2009

What Was I Thinking?


When I registered for the 5K I ran in September, the online service had an offer for three free months of three magazines of my choice. The options were limited. Normally I don't do these things at all, but I am pretty good at cancelling the subscription when the little card comes in the mail. The bait was dangling and I took it. I have been receiving Self, Time, and National Geographic Outdoors for about three months. I've been watching for the little renewal thing in the mail for these magazines so I could cancel them. They haven't come. So tonight, I got online to cancel them.
HOLY CRAP, MY CARD HAS BEEN CHARGED FOR ALL THREE OF THEM....A MONTH AGO!!!! I am so ticked! Self: $21.00 National Geographic: $25.00 and Time: a whoppin' $49.00. How did I not notice this? So I called to cancel and with the automated thing I could just cancel any future subscriptions and keep the ones I've paid for. AAAGGGHHH! You can bet that tomorrow I will be on the phone until I can talk to an actual person and stop these magazines immediately and be refunded for what I haven't yet received.
For the record: I read probably two articles from Time and looked at a couple pictures from National Geographic Adventure. But, maybe the stupid magazine people will have a bit of a victory because I've quite enjoyed Self and I think I'll keep that one. But still, I am so mad!

6 comments:

AIMEE said...

I hate when this happens. Just one more thing to add to your day.

jamie said...

all i have to say about that is...i'm sorry! and self--really? i just leafed through that the other week when i was at the doctors office and felt like the whole magazine was screaming at me to lose weight and lose some more weight and try this new dieting trick and work-out-at-home program...i felt overwhelmed. i suppose not all issues are like that...

Heidi Green said...

I really like "Self" magazine - that's the one I'd keep too. My dad gave us a subscription to National Geographic when we were newlyweds and I rarely read it, although when I did I loved it. Those mags are great when you're in the mood but when you're on the toilet (let's get real, that's the only time we leaf through magazines - right?) you want to read something fluffy... like "Self."

Were you able to cancel them? We need an update.

Mickel said...

I did something just like that this past week. Long story short, I somehow ended up owning two $300 wheat grinders when I only intended to own 1. Fortunately it all worked out after much expended energy, but I was SOOOOOOO mad at myself for doing something so stupid. Sometimes I think my brain has completely turned to mush!

Code Turner said...

Heidi, did you really just say that you like to read something fluffy on the toilet?

That's almost as good as Biffy's verbal snafu she kicked out last Friday where she made an indecent proposal to our home teacher.

Kierstin said...

I love Self though. It's a great magazine. I get Parents and I love it... only $12/year