On the left you see Oreo A, made in the United States. On the right you see Oreo B, made in Canada.
Hypothesis:
An Oreo is an Oreo, no matter where it's made.
Testing:
Four hungry kids after school, two plates of cookies, voting requested on their favorite cookie and why.
Kate: "I like them both. The Canadian frosting is a little creamier."
Aaron: "I like the Canadian Oreos better. They are crunchier and the frosting is better."
Holly: "Can I just have another one?"
Biffy: "I agree with Aaron, even though he voted the other way. I think the Canadian cookie is crisper and the frosting isn't so shortening-ish. If you look closely, you can see the designs on the two cookies are slightly different from each other. "
Hypothesis overturned. These Oreos can cross boundaries, but they still contain unique properties. They are both very yummy. I think we could achieve world peace if we all ate Oreos together once in a while, don't you?
**Thanks for the cookies, my Canadian friend, Carla. You never disappoint with your international treats and continue to prove why you exude awesomeness.
8 comments:
maybe I will use that experiment in my class one day! I love food experiments!
That is the way to make Science fun! I think it is funny that the kids changed their minds after they learned the results:).
i think it's hilarious that you took the time to conduct a scientific test. i don't like oreos so i won't know, but i'm glad you found out which ones you like better.
I would try a look at the ingredients, you may find the Canadian have less 'processing'? maybe. ;-)
You guys are such goof-balls! Nice experiment, Mom... now, how many Oreo's did you eat during this "experiment"?? Ha.
For you scientists out there...
US Oreo ingredients: sugar, enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin B1], riboflavin [vitamin B2], folic acid), partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cocoa (processed with alkali), high fructose corn syrup, baking soda, cornstarch, salt soy lecithin (emulsifier), vanillin - an artificial flavor, chocolate
Canadian Ingredients: sugar, enriched wheat flour, coconut oil, shortening, vegetable oil and modified palm with TBHQ and citric acid or vegetable oil shortening (vegetable, modified pal, modified palm kernel), cocoa, corn starch, glucose, salt, soya lecithin, sodium bicarbonate, artificial flavour.
Glad to see you actually did a test and that you enjoyed them.
I also was looking at the nutritional facts and the CDN ones are 60 calories a cookie with 2.5 g of fat. The US ones are 53 calories with 2.3 grams of fat.
US ones have a lot more sodium.
Far too much information but I figured since I used the box to bring my cards home I would enlighten you. :) Cheers!
I think treats from other countries are always better than ours. But, then again, I just think all treats are better.
I think the best part of the experiment would be multiple testings of both cookies just to make sure you are sure of your answer. Right?! I bet your kids loved this.
Post a Comment