1. Christmas. Christmas is two months from today. Heidi and I were discussing how we are going to try to NOT start pestering our kids about what they want for Christmas. I have done this for years and then a couple years ago, Greg pointed out how this makes the kids focus on their greed instead of the real Christmas spirit. Of course I ignored this idea at first and kept shoving the toy ads in my kids' faces. "What do you want for Christmas? What are you favorite two things on this page?" It took awhile before I realized how on target Greg was. So, this year, I vow to not pester my kids! They have to write a letter to Santa at some point, but I am going to try and minimize the mother-directed fantasizing about all of the toys in the world.
2. Halloween. I got my Christmas thought out of the way, now I can focus on what is far more immediate, Halloween! I love Halloween and especially this year. Here is why. Halloween in years past:
Get up for school. Get kids' costumes on to wear to school. Get myself dressed and ready to get to the school first thing for the Halloween parade. Help kids change out of costume after the parade. Go home and get my costume on. Get everything packed up so we can leave for Greg's work the moment school gets out. Load up the van. Go back to the school for Halloween parties in the kids' classes. Leave for Greg's work the moment school gets out. Have the kids put their costumes back on while staying buckled (tricky). Go do the Spillman Tech. trick or treat. Leave there with literally buckets of candy and get home in time for dinner which may or may not be ready in the crock pot. Go trick or treating in the neighborhood. Stress that the kids are just eating candy for dinner, they are getting to bed late, and they have to get up for school tomorrow.
Not so this time! This year Halloween is on Friday, my kids don't have school that day, so the Halloween school parties are on Thursday. Everything is spaced out and they can stay up as late as they want because the next day is Saturday. Nice. Now I just have finish rounding up costumes.
3. Potty Training. I can almost say that Emmy is potty trained! She’s doing very well. But she’s a little plugged this morning and keeps going to the potty every five minutes with no results. This has greatly hindered my ability to sleep in. I can’t complain, because potty training Emmy signals a huge END OF AN ERA! No more diapers! Pinch me, I must be dreaming!
4. List, Shmist. Now I must go and try to accomplish a list of about 15 things today. History has shown that I'll get probably three things crossed off my list and then realize that the day is gone. If I didn't have kids that list would be a lot shorter and get done and I would be so bored. I think I'll keep those cute little ragamuffins!
6 comments:
It is hard not to panic about Christmas shopping! But I think your husband is right. I am sooo glad Halloween in on Friday too! I hate the day after at school as a teacher. I also hate the day of, but this year we have parent teacher conferences so the kids don't have to come!
we're simple gifters (i'm sure you've figured that out by now). i think it's mostly because i haven't gotten the hang of how to be a wife, mom, sister and sister-in-law AND daughter and daughter-in-law...not to mention aunt...during the holidays. i feel like i can never have it all together. i don't know when, but someday i'll feel like i did Christmas just right with my whole family.
happy halloween! i can't wait to see pictures of the kids' get-ups!
good job, emmy! i hope tatum's not too far behind.
so...how many things did you get to cross off of your list?
I admit, I have already pestered my kids! I want to get my shopping done now, so I can enjoy the holidays!
looks like you has a fun trip!
Will is making vast improvements in the bathroom arena... I think he'll be done by the end of the year (I'm giving myself [and him] ample time so I don't freak out when he backslides).
I do the same thing with the Christmas ads. The funny thing is that they tell me everything they want and then after I have purchased it all, they change their minds. I have gotton to the point that I just listen to the things they say are cool and go from there. That way, if they don't get EXACTLY what they asked for, they aren't disappointed.
This year we are shopping for the kids the week of christmas. I think we won't spend as much that way. I'll let you know how it goes!
Post a Comment