Greg has the best method for teaching our kids to ride a bike. We’ve used it for all of our kids and it works like a charm every time. Here’s what he did with Holly. He took the pedals off her bike at the same time he took her training wheels off. We made sure the seat was low enough for Holly to comfortably put her feet flat on the ground while on the bike. Then, she paddles. I like to refer to paddling as Flintstoning it – you propel yourself with your feet. After about a week of paddling, Holly was lifting up her feet and gliding around on her bike. The test to see if she was ready for the pedals took place: Can you ride from the top of the driveway to the end without touching your feet to the ground? She could, so six days after taking the pedals off, the pedals were put back on. Here is her very first try with the pedals. (If I can get video on here with my first try, that will be the truly amazing feat!)
How fun is that! She has been on cloud nine all week.
2 comments:
Great idea...I'll have to remember it for Jack. Way to go!!!
I actually remember the first time I met you was when you were riding around the block on your bike (with your helmet, which I thought was funny and a cute example for your kids) and you stopped and introduced yourself. It took me a while to get accustomed to your name because it sounded like a rich chick from California!! HAHA! I am so glad I've gotten to know you, you're the best :)
Post a Comment