Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Keepin' me up at night

Kate's piano recital was tonight. I forgot my camera for the SECOND YEAR IN A ROW! I just lost my mother of the year nomination. Again. She was darling. Really, I looked at her while she was watching the other performers and was overwhelmed with how darling my nine year old baby is. I even wiped away a little tear. She was cute getting ready for the recital. She let me fix her hair - this is worth remarking because she mostly just refuses my pleas. (that looks misspelled - plural plea is pleas, isn't it?) Then she was very concerned about lathering up her bare legs with smelly lotion. She reapplied right before we went into the recital as well. Aaaah me, she is trying to grow up.

Emmy, on the other hand, was a noisy terror. She and I spent most of the recital out in the hall.

The whole reason I bring up the recital is to say that the kids got to bed late. 8:30 is my target bedtime, earlier is better. The recital ended at 8:20. Everyone was brushed and prayed and tucked and kissed by 9:15. So I get on the computer and begin perusing this and that. At 9:45 Aaron shows up in the office.
"Mom, I can't sleep."

"Aaron, go to bed," I pause, thinking I'll send him upstairs to let the other parent in the house deal with it, "Go up and give dad a kiss if you need to."

"But Mom, I can't sleep."

"Why?" I wonder what tonight's version of the same story is - scary lights in the bedroom, thinking about a video game, etc...

"Because I am thinking too much about Disneyland."

It made me laugh so hard I had to take a picture of him. If you know me, you may know that Disneyland is my second or third favorite place in the world, but it certainly doesn't keep me up at night. Aaron laughed too. And that, my friends, is the face I am blessed to see every day.

I know, he needs a haircut. We have issues there.

6 comments:

Heidi Green said...

I like his hair long :-)

Yea Disneyland!!!

Rochelleht said...

Sooo cute! Disneyland is a nice thing to think about. Jane has a recital coming up, too. She's mostly concerned that she's going to have to wear a big puffy dress. Like she doesn't have to wear one every week!

Heather said...

I've heard the "I can't sleep, I'm too excited about Disneyland" too. But it is from Sophie AND Rich!! The countdown is on. They leave Fri morning!
PS-LOVE your blog! You are so cute!

Jackie said...

I found your blog through Heidi's and it's so fun to read what you are up to. Your kids are growing like weeds. It's crazy! They are so cute! She said you'll be at the blessing on Sunday, so I guess I'll see you then!

Anonymous said...

Biffy, you have the most darling kids. Thanks for sharing your tender moments. I love it!

Kierstin said...

We are taking my kids to Disneyland for their first time in November! I grew up spending a lot of time in California with my grandparents so Disneyland was a huge part of my memories. I am soooooo excited to see my little sweeties faces when they see the 'magic' of Disney. Our little baby, Mia will also be there at a mere (almost) 4 months old. Too bad she won't remember any of it. My parents are coming too so they can experience the joy with my kids, and also to help babysit the baby :) Gotta love grandparents!