I got the bug to redo my kitchen. I still really liked my red walls but I was ready for a change. Something lighter and brighter and less cave-feeling. My awesome mom came over and helped me paint primer over the red and then two or three coats of blue (I can't really remember how many coats - I'm thinking two). Heidi came over the next morning and jump started me into finishing the painting. I have the best mom and the best friend! The new color was just the change I needed! I also got new blinds for the kitchen/great room area. The blinds had been wood tone. They really clashed with the blue paint not to mention they darkened the whole space whether they were tilted or not. So I put the wood blinds in the storage room and replaced them with crisp white blinds. It really made a difference! Even Greg noticed! The kitchen/great room windows don't let a whole lot of natural light in so the white blinds really brightened things up. The painting took two or three days - I couldn't have done it without my mom and Heidi. I had forgotten how tricky it is to do these types of projects with a crawling baby.
My other project was to paint my kitchen table and chairs black. This was a doozy! I used a paintbrush and not spray paint. I'm glad I did because since I used oil-based paint the result is a really hard finish that has stood up to kids. I started with sanding everything. Then one coat of primer and two coats of paint and then touch ups. After that I put two coats of urethane all over everything - legs and slats too (still with a paintbrush). Then I put two more coats of urethane on the tabletop and the seats of the chairs. Holy smokes it took FOREVER! I think it was a week of going to bed no earlier than 2:00 AM. But it was totally worth it! I have been really happy with the results. The tabletop has had some scratching which is disappointing since I paid a mint for the best urethane at the paint store. But the rest of it has held up beautifully. I think I will just lightly sand the tabletop and put a fresh coat of urethane on it every 6 months.
3 comments:
holy ambitious projects! can't wait to see them in person.
You know I LOVE how it all turned out. You worked so hard on that table and it is gorgeous! I know your camera's on the fritz but you have got to find a way to show more pictures!! Especially of it all put together. :)
You are AWESOME! Everything looks great! A gal in my ward paid to have a piece of glass made to fit her table so hers doesn't get scratched up, just a thought:).
Post a Comment