

Memorial Day is a great holiday. I love that the whole nation sets aside an entire day just to honor those that have gone before us. It makes us talk about veterans to our kids and the importance of showing gratitude to them. It also makes us remember those in our family who have passed away. My older kids still vividly remember my sweet Grandma Blondie and all the kids remember Grandpa. Grandpa passed away last fall and Grandma passed away almost four years ago. I still have days when I miss my Grandma so much my heart will ache a bit. My kids are keenly interested in visiting my brother David's grave. I like how our Memorial Day visit there prompts questions about my brother. I realized this time that I was about Holly's age when David passed away. He was thirteen. As my kids have gotten older I have become more and more in awe of my mom going through losing a child. She's amazing.
This year Mom asked the
grandkids to make signs of love to post at the graves. It was a bit of therapy making a sign that told my loved ones I miss them. They turned out so cute and touching, I think we'll do it every year.
4 comments:
I love the idea of the signs, I think that it could really help deal with feelings of grief and loss, thanks for the great idea:).
Wow! Great post. Wonderful ideas. I love it!
I remember when your brother passed away. I wanted to ask you to come over a play a few days after. My mom took me to your house and I was scared to ask you. But I did and you came over. You probably don't even remember that. I just remember as your little friend I felt so bad for you and your family. The signs are a cute idea.
I remember when your brother died also. It was really hard on Todd losing a close friend.
Post a Comment