Thursday, March 11, 2010

Baby Girl



Sarah Kathleen Turner
February 26, 2010
6 lbs 9 oz
20 inches
  • Sarah came a week early via c-section. Emmy was a c-section (she extended her arm out the birth canal) so I had debated vaginal versus repeat c-section for my whole pregnancy. Sarah was due on March 5 and I had decided to schedule a c-section for March 9 if I didn't go into labor before then. On February 23 I went to the doctor for a routine check. The measurements of my tummy showed she hadn't grown for three weeks. I had an ultrasound and she was small for one of my babies, but everything looked fine. My doctor wanted to see me twice a week and do stress tests on the baby to make sure everything was okay. Or, he said, he would do a c-section that Friday. The night following that appointment was full of stress for me. I didn't sleep very much, I laid awake making sure my baby was moving. Greg and I decided that the best route, the thing that felt right, was to have the baby sooner than later. I was worried that since my babies have all been late, she would stay in me and not grow for two more weeks. So, Friday afternoon we went to the hospital ready to have our baby.
  • It's a weird thing, having a scheduled c-section. I got my hair done that morning, ran a couple of errands, then came home and packed a bag for the hospital. We went to the hospital, filled out admitting papers, and got settled in a room. The nurse put in my iv (after two painful attempts - you should see my bruise) and I was all prepped for the surgery. I was nervous, but I knew it would be okay. I guess the biggest difference between a scheduled c-section and a vaginal delivery is when you are in pain. C-section - your pain comes after and lingers a lot longer. Natural delivery - the pain comes before and I think is more intense. Greg remarked that for him, there aren't huge differences - he is the supporting role either way.
  • So the three days prior to the delivery I had worried and worried about our baby. Then suddenly it was time. I laid on the surgery table and heard the sweetest sound in all the world. My sweet baby crying, gasping for breath. Tears ran down my face as soon as I heard her and knew she was okay. My doctor said, "What a scrawny cord! It's a good thing we got her out today." The cord was around her neck a couple of times, so it was likely that my attempted vaginal delivery would have ended in a c-section anyway.
  • Sarah was hard to name. I had been wanting to name her Rose and call her Rosie but I couldn't ever get Greg to come around to that name. The couple of days before her birth we really agreed on the name Claire. I really thought that would be her name but when we saw her she just wasn't a Claire (or a Chloe or Jane or Julia). Sarah had been on our list of 20-30 names we liked, but it didn't float to the top until after she had been born. But Sarah just fit her - so Sarah she is. Kathleen is my mom's name. I had some different middle names I was toying with as well, but my cute husband insisted that Sarah be named after my mom. How could I argue? And the more I thought about how much my mom has given me and sacrificed for her kids, I thought, how could we not name this baby after her?
  • We are in love with our baby Sarah. Every last one of us. She is perfect. She is beautiful. She was meant to come to this crazy little family of ours. We are so happy.

15 comments:

Rochelleht said...

YEAH! I've been waiting for the update! She is beautiful, just like the other four. Congratulations!!!

I think her name totally fits both her and the rest of the family.

shauna said...

Hooray! What a beautiful post. I am so glad that you and Sarah are both well and gaining strength. Congratulations to the whole family. We love the Turner family!

Jamie Kent said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! I am glad things are going well. I have been thinking about you...

Mickel said...

What a sweetheart! Congratulations and job well done, mommy!

Amy and Mike said...

Congratulations! That must have been a stressful time trying to decide what to do, but what a blessing to have your healthy baby girl.

tkfonzie said...

I can understand every feeling you went through Biffy.
I am so glad that Sarah made it safe and sound and that we are all so blessed to have doctors, nurses and hospitals that can make such a scary thing seem like a walk in the park. Just keep a pillow handy(to cushion laughs and coughs:) for the next week or so and you will start feeling better. (Don't over-do when you start feeling good...you will set yourself back at least a week).
Happy, Happy , Happy:).

Michelle said...

She is her daddy's daughter for sure! How beautiful. Glad she's here and you're both doing well.

Courtnie said...

Biffy, she is so cute! I will come see her next month! The name is sweet.

jamie said...

that must have been a stressful couple of days and i'm glad everything turned out perfectly. we're excited to come see her!

Kierstin said...

Congratulations, she IS so beautiful, and I am so very happy for you guys! Kathleen is MY mom's name too :) We have good moms! Mikaela is named after her too, Mikaela Kathleen Laws, I'm named after my mom's mom, Kierstin Colleen Spjut, and Mia is named after me, Mia Kierstin Laws. It's fun and a bond we all share. I hope you are doing well and able to walk around upright by now! love ya :)

The Hammons' said...

Congrats Biffy!! It sounds like your decision was the right one! I'm glad she is here safe and well. She is beautiful and I love the name. Good job picking it before you left the hospital. I hope you are healing well. Let me know if I can do anything for you!
Love you.

Heidi Green said...

I love this post... it will be one that you'll love to look back on and enjoy for sure!

Sarah is beautiful, just like her mom and sisters.

Alison said...

Congratulations! I check in on your blog now and then...your pregnancy was the quickest pregnancy EVER! She is beautiful. It makes me want one so bad.

Julie said...

Tears streaming down my grinning face. Love you guys! Congrats!

Kelly said...

Congratulations Biffy! I got your note in the mail, Thanks. I would LOVE to see her in person someday. Take care of yourself, and I will stay in touch.
p.s I could have gotten your IV in one try. ;)