Our wedding anniversary is Saturday. Not only does it mark our years of wedded bliss, it also marks 14 years of owning the same vacuum. It's been a great vacuum, but alas, it recently succumbed to old age and tonight was sent to the side of the road for the garbage man. Any strong opinions out there about a vacuum you love or hate, think was overpriced, or totally think was worth the money? We are plumbed for central vac but I am highly resistant to spending that much money on a vacuum. Really, what's so great about lugging a long hose around compared to a regular vacuum? I haven't quite caught the vision. I think I just want a good upright. Whad'ya'll think? I need one quick!Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Suck It Up
Our wedding anniversary is Saturday. Not only does it mark our years of wedded bliss, it also marks 14 years of owning the same vacuum. It's been a great vacuum, but alas, it recently succumbed to old age and tonight was sent to the side of the road for the garbage man. Any strong opinions out there about a vacuum you love or hate, think was overpriced, or totally think was worth the money? We are plumbed for central vac but I am highly resistant to spending that much money on a vacuum. Really, what's so great about lugging a long hose around compared to a regular vacuum? I haven't quite caught the vision. I think I just want a good upright. Whad'ya'll think? I need one quick!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
i'm no help. but that's a super clever play-on-words title you've got going on.
WOW! One vacuum in all that time!?! Amazing. We like our windtunnel. We've had two. But seeing as how you've only had one vacuum for 14 years, that may not speak so well of my vacuum...
BTW: I always remember your wedding anniversary, because it was the day Greg and I got engaged.
Happy Anniversary!
Like Rochelle, I like the Hoover Windtunnel. I am on my 2nd or 3rd in 17 years, though. Of course 1 was ruined by all the construction dust, screws, small wood pieces, etc. as we built our house.
Our house has central vac and we had a kirby carpet guy do a demo once and he said kirby was best, next to central vac (of course he thought about kirby!)because central vac won't loose its suction power like a regular vacuum will. But is it worth the money? I don't know. We didn't pay for ours. But you are either hauling around a hose, or a cord with a heavy vacuum. I'd love a cordless vacuum. My sister in law has one she uses in her kitchen and sits in a recharging station when not in use. Love it! But I don't think it's strong enough for regular use on the carpet. I don't know. Good luck!
I've got a dyson...I LOVE IT. No messy bags to change. After we got ours my whole family ended up getting one. My sister has the pet/hair one...she cuts hair. She loves it. My mom has one, she loves it. My aunt got one, she loves it. I don't have the one on the ball, just the basic one. I noticed a huge difference when I got it. It's amazing to see how much junk it picks up when you think you have a pretty clean floor. We've had it about 5 years or so, maybe a little longer. I've loved mine. Good luck on your search.
If you are looking in the Consumer reports, they like the Windtunnels as well. If you don't mind paying a bit more. If you are feeling cheap, they rate the Eureka Boss vacuum almost as high as the Hoover and it costs about $90.(They are cheaper on sale, which happens frequently) If you don't mind buying and changing bags, it is a good, solid vacuum. We used to have a Bissel and we loved it too.
I love my Dyson vac, as well. I like the fact that there's no messy bags to deal with. We've had ours for probably 5 yrs or so. Also, there's a filter on it that can be hand washed instead of paying for new ones. It's easy to do and cuts out all the extra costs.
I am a bit obsessed with vacuuming and cleaning (duh), so I have a pretty strong opinion. I have always used a central vac since my childhood and LOVE it. After about 11 years my parents changed their carpet and there was NO DIRT under the mat because of the central vac's suction throughout the years. It is definitely worth the money in my opinion because you never have to have the gunk stay in your house... it goes into the tank in your garage. Also, a huge bonus is that you have a hook-up in your garage for vacuuming out your cars which is AWESOME. We talked the Garrs into buying one a few years ago and they love it (I think they still do:?) Good luck, and if you do decide to go with the central vac, go to Swiss Boy in Bountiful, they have the best quality and price (we researched it).
Biffy....Just read your post. And just read Jareds comments! I'm sooo sorry and embaressed. But you know Jared. Only you he would tease. Hey at least he likes reading your blog!! BTW If your vaccum has lasted for 14 years...maybe go for the same brand again.
LOVE our Dyson! We got it two years ago when we redid our carpet. It's awesome!!
Post a Comment