- I bought Cherry Hill (water park) passes for me and the kids this year. We've had such a ball. It's been the perfect thing for our summer. On the days we go to Cherry Hill the jobs get done faster, the house is left clean, and then the kids are worn out when we get home. Marvelous!
- Michael Jackson died today. That's kind of surreal. I remember watching Thriller at a slumber party at Amber Bennett's one time. (Hi Amb!) That was probably my first real introduction with MJ. He kind of went strange there the past 15 years, but boy, that Thriller guy could dance!
- Girls Camp is next week. Here's the main question that's in my mind. Do you spell it G-I-R-L-apostrophe-S or G-I-R-L-S-apostrophe, or no apostrophe at all? You could really make a case for each. Is it a camp that belongs to a girl, belongs to all the girls, or is just for girls (like soccer camp or art camp)? Every time I write the words I am stressed about the apostrophe or lack of it. I think the church can't decide either, because all church documents refer to Young Women Camp - never Girl's Camp.
- But seriously, Girls' Camp (help me, apostrophe people!) is next week. I have a sweet gig as the camp director. This is a stake camp (every year in these parts for some reason) and the stake has organized 85% of our time. The stake even cooks all but three of our meals. Nice. While it would be nice to have more input about what we actually do up there, my stress level is very thankful for the stake's overboard planning. I also have two wonderful assistant camp directors who have been awesome to work with. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. I'm sure we'll have our fair share of unanticipated bumps in the road (please don't rain!) but it's going to be fun!
- I have to learn to put up our tent by myself. It's going to rain tonight, otherwise I'd be outside pitching, not inside posting. It'll have to be tomorrow that Greg gives me the tent tutorial. I can put up our smaller tents no problem, but I've never put up the eight man tent without help. These are good skills. Another great reason for girls, uh, I mean, Young Women Camp.
- One last thing, I've been on a bit of a private soapbox lately when it comes to camp. I've heard many comments about "Ooh, that's roughing it up there. No flushing toilets! You poor thing, you won't get to shower while you're there!" Okay, what?! Can't we raise young women that are fine with camping for a few days? I mean, seriously, could we have made it a week as pioneer women? I hope my girls are strong and independent and know that they can rough it when asked. I hope Aaron doesn't marry a prissy princess that can't do anything on her own. I'm all for being pampered, but dang it, we girls have got to know how to be strong, too!
- Finally, wish me luck in my grand campaign to change the name of the outhouses at Girl's Camp. In this stake they call them the biffies. Bathroom In Forest For You. LAME! Obviously my mother had no idea that outhouses were called biffies when she let my family continue calling me Biffy when I was a newborn. So renaming the biffies to johns or even just your ordinary outhouse is now my vocal campaign at this camp! I mean, I've had a lifetime of having a good sense of humor about my weird name (hence my aversion to weird names - your kid will spend their life explaining and spelling their name for people - it gets quite trying) but having it synonymous with the pot is a little much.
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Brain Dump (or why outhouse is a better word)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
i love your sense of humor. i hope you have a great time at camp and wish you all the best with the bathrooms!
I totally agree with your comment about girls being able to get dirty and camp...I can't stand the "can't get dirty, use an outhouse type of girl" they just drive me crazy.
Good luck with the "john" name change.
I'm curious...did you get a new vacuum. What did you end up going with?
Back in my days of going to camp, it was called Rough camp. And it was rough. We made our own Biffies (LOL) with logs and tarps. Who knows why the church is always changing the names. Just make sure they change the name of Biffy, to something like Karen or Suzy. Good Luck. You're the only reason, Kailey is going! Thanks for your hard work, the girls will have a blast!!!
HA! Yes, definitely call in an outhouse.
I LOVE LOVE girls camp and was sad to miss it this year. Although, we can only have 2 leaders go and that's the camp director and the YW Pres. My YW Pres. called me the day they got home with all the details.
In a plug for non-prissy girls, I'm starting mine off well. The cabin has no running water or electricity, so every year, my kids get a healthy dose of pioneering. I hate uptight, prissy, whining princess types, so you and I can hang out together during Armageddon... ;-)
I got this messed up for my company's users conference. The correct spelling is "Girls Camp". The girls don't possess the camp -- it's a camp for girls.
I personally like the PG version of Christmas Vacation's terminology for toilet -- the crapper. Although, I'm sure the stake would be more likely to switch to something more PC such as the latrine. It even has latin roots, so that's got to be even more official, eh?
Fun post :-)
Hey, I'm pretty strong and independent, but heck if I want to go a week without a shower or a flushing toilet. No thanks. :)
Good for you, though, being all positive about it.
Post a Comment