Monday, September 7, 2009

So What If You Didn't Vote for Him?

I am dumbfounded.



President Barack Obama has planned to address the students of our nation on Tuesday. He will address the importance of working hard, setting educational goals, and taking individual responsibility for learning.



My kids came home with a permission slip for me to sign allowing them to watch the President's address.



Are you freaking kidding me??????


Why in the world would a parent not allow their child to watch the United States president talk about the importance of education? Are we that small minded and prejudiced that we have to give our permission for our kids to listen to the leader of our nation? This is paranioa to the umpteenth degree. Who cares if you disagree with Obama's health care agenda, this is him talking about the importance of education. I don't recall signing a permission slip for different assemblies with guest speakers. What about the moms volunteering in my kids' classes? I never gave my permission for that either and you know, those moms could very well be poisoning my kids with ideas about how learning is important. The fact that this permission slip has been sent home tells me that there were people complaining about the upcoming broadcast, specifically the fact that they don't like the president. It also tells me that the educational powers that be cowered instead of standing up for the students' rights to be informed, listen to the president, and make their own choices.



Lame, Davis school district. Lame.




***By the way, George H.W. Bush addressed the students of the nation in 1991. I was in high school. I vaguely remember watching him, I don't remember being politically brainwashed or indoctrinated, and I certainly don't remember having to get my mom's permission.

22 comments:

jamie said...

seriously.

Jamie Kent said...

All the school districts have to send notes home. Parents are afraid he will address other issues like abortion and such. The department of education actually came up with a lesson plan teachers are to use, some parents didn't like it. They have now revised it. Anyway, it is great to live in America!! I am hoping he just sticks to education and not all the other issues. I think he will have a big mess on his hands if he starts talking about abortion to little kids...ha ha (they don't even know what it is). I am being sarcastic! I think we should support the President, even if we didn't vote for him or don't agree with his views because he is the President. That is what the children need to learn. I am sure the speach will be just fine. We will all find out what he has to say on Tuesday!!

jfasioe said...

Last Friday I received a call from the office to send down a student to get a note that was to go home with each student. When I read the note I almost fell over. A permission slip to hear the President speak. As I passed out the notes the students didn't understand why they had a note going home to inform their parents that they would be listening to the Pres. next week and they could opt out if they wanted to. One student said, "Why do I have to take this home?" another, "Why wouldn't we listen to the Pres?" I couldn't answer either.
I cannot believe the narrow mindedness, I cannot believe that we are at a point in our history when the we have no respect. What are you teaching your kids? Do you have that little self worth as a parent that even if the President said something you disagreed with you couldn't talk to your kids about it. Do you screen all of your kids friends and what they say, watch or do? If Mitt Romney were Pres. and people objected to a similar speech you would be upset and you would know that he wouldn't be trying to convert kids to his religion. But if the Pres is a democrat and black well I guess that is a different story. Nice job right wingers way to show off your patriotism, and support for education.

jfasioe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jfasioe said...

BTW--the speech is available online to be viewed and read beforehand.

Biffy said...

It makes me wonder if past Govenor Huntsman or Govenor Herbert now addressed the students, would anyone even raise an eyebrow? Nice point, Jared, that if parents are truly concerned, they can listen to or read the speech and then discuss it with their kids. And Jamie, I read about how they had revised some of the wording in the optional lesson plan. I think worrying that Obama will address other issues is kind of ridiculous, don't you? You are right that he would have a big mess on his hands if he did that. He and his advisors wouldn't be so stupid! (Although Bush in '91 addressed the war on drugs - not directly an educational issue but an important one for students nonetheless.)

jfasioe said...

Here is the speech:http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

Heidi Green said...

Ok, your post is so funny because I was going to write about this very thing... and you and I haven't even talked about it yet. We are too much alike, you and I.

I do disagree with you about one thing however, I don't think the school district (or board of education) is lame for sending out the permission slips. It's important to listen to parents concerns, (even if I don't personally think they make sense) especially when younger children are involved. I think the true problem lies with the people that prematurely jumped to conclusions about the contents of the speech. There were some poorly worded sentences in his address that have been changed... this could have been accomplished without all the "freaking out" that has been going on. I generally am a conservative, politically speaking, but I HATE it when people are ultra far leaning in either direction. Let's find a little common ground, people. (Ok, mini-rant is over.)

The bright side of this situation is that I was already able to have some meaningful conversations with my children. :-)

Rochelleht said...

I'm not sending my kids in to listen. I have serious issues with him and I think that what he is doing is propaganda. It recalls the brown shirts in Germany 70 years ago. If I wanted my kids to listen to it later with me, I may do that, but I don't want them watching at school without me. Any other president, even Clinton, but not this one.
It has nothing to do with abortion. It has to do with how we can "serve our president" and his radical agenda. I serve God, not Obama.

Check out this commercial . This is the kind of propaganda that he and his peeps spout. It makes me think of 'philosophies of man mingled with scripture'.

Rochelleht said...

PS: As a one shot deal, I totally agree with you. At first, I thought, 'what's the big deal?'. But the closer you look at this guy and with whom he surrounds himself, and the bills that are being sneaked in through subterfuge, there is MUCH more going on here than just the president of the US giving a speech to our children about education. If that's all it was, I would be all over it, but I have looked very closely at what this dude is all about and I want him as far away from my children as possible.

I'm sure on the outside, that looks crazy, but I feel very strongly about this. It has nothing to do with conservative vs liberal. It goes WAY beyond that at this point.

Code Turner said...

Great comment! And that commercial! Wow, I could barely watch it. It is so riddled with obvious references to the liberal agenda pro-Nazi death-to-freedom, I was almost tempted to drink a Dr. Pepper. But don't worry...I held firm. "I resolve to plant 50 trees." 50?!? The nerve of those "celebrities". Those trees are taking away my liberty!

Sorry -- I just couldn't let that one go, Shel. My advice -- I think you need to ease up on the Glenn Beck Kool-Aid -- it's just not healthy. You can't see clearly and then you just get angry at everything. Trust me on this -- I used to listen to it too. It's awesome to stay informed, but it's got to be balanced. Since I stopped, I can now see Obama for who he really is -- a good, God-fearing man who's doing his best to make this country better for everyone. I may not agree with some of the ways he wants to go about doing it, but I have the utmost respect for his devotion to our country.

And when Michael Strahan said that he pledges to consider himself an American, and not an African-American -- my big, red conservative heart said, "atta-boy!" We need some more of that kind of propaganda.

And I still think you're awesome, Shel.

Michelle Denson said...

In defense of the district, it's not a permission slip to watch it but rather a statement opting out of watching it. With the way things are with parents these days, you have to cover your whatchamacallit every way you possibly can to make sure you're "OK." You wouldn't believe what we get complaints about and how things are twisted by parents. The district is just trying to protect themselves and it's really sad that we've had to take things that far!!

Jackie said...

Oh the can of worms that you opened. Here are my two cents.

The commercial that Rochelle attached came out around the time that Obama's speech was announced. I think that this caused a lot of the uproar. Some may have been confused thinking that this is what was going to be shared in the schools, & if not it started a fire storm of uneasy feelings. Although this commercial shares some good things that we can do, I believe it is laced with many liberal views I the fact that they mentioned "serving the president" was shocking. We don't serve the president, he serves us & the country. We SUPPORT him in those responsibilities & try to help our country to be the best it can be. I believe that that video was made for Obama's gain & for Obama alone.

Now onto the school talk. Do I believe that there is a hidden agenda in giving this speech to the schools? Of course, doesn't everything at this level of politics have a hidden agenda? Do I believe that giving this speech in a school is the proper forum? Not really. I think that it would have been more appropriate to send a letter home to the parents informing them that the president had a message that he would broadcast for them to watch as a family & discuss it afterward. But I understand that those that are most likely to drop out of school are those that have little support at home & would probably never end up watching it. So there is a problem with that solution. Would I have a problem with my children watching it? Absolutely not. I don't agree with the way that Obama is running the country, but I think that it is important for us to teach our children an understanding & respect for our country & part of that comes from respecting the position of the President. Would it be hurtful for them to hear the message? No way. A kid isn't going to be worried about it being a political platform, he will just listen to what the president has to say, & most will go on & play on the playground like nothing as even happened. I think this has been blown WAY out of proportion.

Rochelleht said...

Actually, in my 'Glenn Beck loving' defense, I'm pretty sure the sum total of episodes I've watched in the last 6 months has been less than 6. I am NOT a conspiracy theorist. You need look no further than my brother or my mil for that. But in the case of this president, he is not a God-fearing good man. I wish he were. I think you just look at his friends. My friends are God-fearing good people. His are radical communists who hate America.

Do I think he'll spout communist propaganda in schools? I doubt it. But I don't want my children hearing from their president that it is their duty to serve him. And they get enough propaganda about being green, etc, without getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

Besides which, does he really think my 1st grader is going to make it through even 5 minutes of his speech? Snooze-ville.

The day I really go radical conservative kool-aid drinking is the day I pull my kids out and home school them and that day will NEVER come. But, I do see a hidden agenda here and I'm not going to take it. If nothing else, I think it sends a message to the president that people are on to him. There were no 'mis-worded' sentences in what the White House sent out to the schools. It was very calculated and they got caught and had to cover their butts.

Code Turner said...

His speech didn't change. The whole uproar centered around what was sent to the schools by the DOE suggesting teachers have the students write letters to themselves on how to help the president reach the goals he set for the nation, which was changed to "write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term education goals". And a suggested question for older students was changed from "What is President Obama inspiring you to do?" to "Is President Obama inspiring you to do anything?" Huge uproar over that?

The speech is very inspiring, and everyone who reads it says that its great for our kids to hear.

Serving the president? He is our commander in chief and if some people feel the need to pledge themselves to serve him, what's the harm in that? It's a personal choice, not propaganda. Governor Huntsman just resigned his post to serve the president as the ambassador to China, and I was proud of him for making that pledge. Yep, he's serving his country and his president.

About Obama's friends -- I know who you're talking about, and I've heard all the stories. The same case could be made against every politician because they want to befriend everyone who's willing to befriend them back. I have some friends who are neither God-fearing nor particularly good, but if they're willing to listen to me and let me help them, then they're my friend as well.

But really, isn't there more important things to worry about than grammar? I just wish the government wasn't spending my tax money so carelessly, and it all starts our dysfunctional, money-grubbing congress.

Tamra said...

Biffy, you Pot Stirrer!

Biffy said...

Holy Shmoley you guys! I love how everybody is putting thought into this. Your comments have made me think more deeply about the whole issue. Here are my thoughts:
Thanks Michelle, for pointing out that it is a slip for parents to opt their kids out of watching the address. I realized that after I posted. It is a good point that when young children are involved you can't be too careful. I do believe though, that at a junior high and especially high school level the parent notification is overboard. We read about past presidents all the time in history class, why not listen to something the current one has to say? Teens are beginning to think for themselves and hopefully something like this will help them do just that.

Rochelle, I think making the Obama-Hitler jump is way too much for me. But I do agree that the whole "serving Obama" wording in that commercial was also too much. But you guys, really, recycling and volunteering in your community? I just can't bring myself to see that as propoganda. (It is pretty annoying that it's all these self righteous celebrities, but, whatev.) And, Jackie, I remember seeing a similar commercial quite some time ago - I have no idea if it's the same one or a whole new one.

I was telling my kids yesterday about this address coming up and Kate looked at me and said, "Mom, this matters to you guys, not me." There ya go. She's going to watch it, get bored, and go out and play.

Finally, Rochelle and Greg - I love you both (in different ways of course). Thanks for making the discussion lively and relevant. You guys are awesome! I know that you are both people who take a lot of time making sure you stay informed. That inspires me.

Now I will retreat back into my Mormon mommy blogger identity. I'm not so sure about blogging political. It's fun, but kinda stressful!

shauna said...

LOVED HIS SPEECH. VERY INSPIRING!

CJ Liang said...

Just have to report that no permission slips were needed here in Seattle.

It will be interesting to see what my kids thought tonight. Meg's class is always getting into political debates.

Michelle said...

Great post Biffy! I loved the speech and after spending the weekend in Chicago realize even more the need to prod our youth to stay in school and set goals. Of course there was a little political agenda in the speech - that's the essence of politics. If anything hopefully it opens up conversations between parents and youth about what they believe and how they can better themselves and the community.

Heather said...

Well I read it yesterday afternoon and thought the speech was great! Very good, and excellent content - especially for the older kids in highschool. The speech made me want to be better and make a difference. And to help me want to teach my kids even more the importance of education.

So what was the big deal all about? This man is the president of our country. It is an honor for our children to have him take time out and speak right to them. The kids don't know much about politics. All they know is the president was speaking to them. Why try and take that oportunity away from them just because PARENTS don't like the guy?
I think this was a good idea. Even if my kindergartener didn't get a lick out of it. Seriously America, let it go.

And I like the point about permission slips about other guest speakers at school. Sometimes I don't even know they happen until days after the fact. If people are truely concerned about what is being said and fed to their children at school why isn't there a big fuss over all the other people too?

Janalynn said...

Ok Loved the debate-like comments. As a Parent of high school and elementry school age children, I for one was glad ALL students had the opportunity to listen to OUR president speak (including my kindergartner). although young children may not understand the full message, it was still a early lesson to them of the importance of supporting our goverment leaders. The 12th Article of faith mentions that we believe in honoring and sustaining our leaders. It's never too early to teach our children who our president is or the importance of patriotism. I don't agree with all of Obamas decisions, however, I love this contry, and part of being an american is supporting our leaders. I read the speach the night before, so I knew what was being said and that I could wisely know how to approch or communicate with my children. Now for our children's point of view. Forget who was talking or the subject matter, If your child was singled out to NOT watch the speach, Whouldn't your child feel kinda silly or left out? Sometimes, we need to put aside our feelings towards a person, and look at the message, and especially think of our children. We don't want them wondering WHY. Sometimes "fitting" in is just as important as long as it is safe and morealy right. We also need to be an example of Tolerance of others, right?